.post-body img { width: 500px!important; height: auto!important; }

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Small Dogs vs. Big Dogs, The truth as told by Natasha


We take Niko and Mary Jane on a 'special walk' once a month where we go to this dog/horse trail here. Usually I don't pay much attention to the other dogs we run into, but today I noticed literally every other dog there was a "big dog" and for SOME STUPID REASON I felt a little self conscious over our adorable little pups. I think it's mainly because I have talked to SO many people before that make fun of tiny breed pups (shamefully- I used to be one of them.)

When I was a kid we only had big dogs, I mean; not huge. We had a Red Healer named Honey and she was one of my best friends. When Brandon and I were dating and talking about the possibility of Marriage I told him I refused to have little pups. I am a 'big dog' type of gal, and I wouldn't settle for anything less. About a year into our marriage we decided to go to an adoption fair, I remember telling Brandon "We are not going to get a dog today." As soon as we walked up to the dogs I saw the big dogs and neither of us felt like they were 'our dog' when we saw Niko, a tiny Chihuahua half Terrier we knew he was our pup. So there we were, planning on not getting a dog (let alone, a tiny dog) and we were now headed home with one.

After having Niko bug for a good little while I realized tiny dogs are seriously cool. Surprisingly, I love my tiny Niko just as much as I love Honey. Niko definitely needed a friend, and we found this gorgeous German Shepard at another adoption fair and I LOVED her, we had to stop and honestly think about our already forever friend at home. Niko is GREAT with dogs if he's gotten to know them for a good period of time. He's even BETTER with smaller breeds. My heart broke a little when we realized the German Shepard wasn't the right choice for that moment.

A few months later we found Mary Jane, a runt of the litter Pug, and she's amazing I can't imagine NOT having MJ and Niko bug. They are our pups and we could never replace them.

I get it, big breeds have some enduring qualities. They can be great guard dogs, hunting partners, outdoor pups and adventure dogs. However- Small dogs have their positives as well. Now that I have my two small breeds I am a firm believer that a dog is a dog no matter the shape, or size. A dog will love you unconditionally no matter what.


I hear people all the time that say what I used to "I would NEVER own a small dog." Well, I am here to say: Keep an open heart and mind to all/any dog. Because... You never know what fury friend is just waiting for you to give them a chance to love them forever.

Also, I HATE HATE HATE it when people say "I want a real dog, a small dog is not a real dog." Let me ask, Then what is a small dog? Some mutant alien? SMH.

.

PS, in no way am I closed off to big dogs either. When we have an actual home we want a big dog, but as for now I am PERFECTLY content with my micro sized doggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment